Sunday, June 14, 2009

Calgon, Take me away!

Awakened early this am by a terrible, throbbing pain in the left side of my face and head! Migraines a go go! Oh sh.t, not again! Dragged myself out of bed, splashed water on my throbbing face/head, brushed my teeth (pain!) and went to check on Mom and Dad.
Oh, thank God, they are still asleep. It's 6:50am. Must take migraine meds and get coffee ASAP! Let the animals out. A little queezy but not too bad, so I drank the coffee.
Tried sitting up for a while but to no avail. Had to lie down. I'm feeling pretty disgusted and discouraged with this migraine crap! Can't think very clearly as everything is just a big blur!
Mom and Dad get up late (around 9 ish). See them a few minutes but migraine just won't let up. Told them I'd have to lay down some more and would check on them later. Dad informs me that Mom has walked with her walker to her recliner this am. Great, I said. Mom looks pretty tired.

Went back next door to my house. Briefly spoke with my daughter, sister and cousin on the phone. Then, the migraine just kept flaring. Took more meds (added a seroquel) and finally feel asleep on the sofa. My phones rang off the hook (of course, I'm sleeping) but I just let them ring. Slept a couple of hours. Woke up feeling better! Yes! No migraine!

Went next door to check on Mom and Dad. Dad has a long, sad, disgusted face on telling me that Mom has had 3 accidents (bladder) and that the laundry tub is full of soiled pj's. He insisted on Mom trying to walk to the bathroom rather than put the bsc near her recliner (like I had been doing). Poor Dad, still in denial of Mom's condition. He insists we need to get better meds to help with her incontinence. I try, again, to explain that this is as good as it gets but he still can't hear me!! Ahhhh, Calgon, take me away!!!

Put Mom's urine soaked clothes to wash and BAM flashes started in my eyes AGAIN! I didn't know whether to scream or cry! Migraine AGAIN!! I did neither and proceeded to take more medication! Finally, as my nausea grew, I decided to call my PCP. We decided I should go to the After hours clinic for injections. Which I did!!! Five days and nights of migraines are just too much!

I am finally feeling semi-human again. Got Mom and Dad to bed. Decided to write some of this down.
Oh, FYI, when I went to the after hours clinic they started asking me all this info and having me fill out paperwork. I'm sitting there in sunglasses because the lights are blinding me. I tell these medical people my problems including the fact that I have EOAD and they just say ok and keep asking. No slowing down, no real assisting of anything! Still expecting me, migraine and all, to be fully functional! (I have to laugh to keep from crying).
Received my 2 injections and drove myself home!

Had a hellish day! Glad it's over!

Peace.

LCC

3 comments:

  1. Hi LCC,

    I take my hat off to you. Caring for your Mum (Aussie spelling)and helping others online...so compassionate and selfless.

    Hoping the awful migraines stay away...hugs and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope for peace to you dear. Good lord, you have enough on your plate without the migraine h**l! 'scuse the language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate migraines. When I get them, I end up losing my vision at times. I wish there was a better way to end them. Big hugs for you.

    ReplyDelete