Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Desperately Seeking Peace and Quiet !

It's 9:00pm. Dad went to bed @ 8:30. After all, he's 87, works and he's tired! But, will Mom go to bed with him? NO !! That leaves me to put Mom to bed. Again.

Oh but wait, I hear Mom's bell slightly ting-a linging? I go to check on her..It's 9:05 and she's sitting on the edge of her recliner holding her bell. I ask, "Mom, what's up, are you ringing for me?" "No, I'm just going to bed now!" (Of course she has no clue has to how she would get to bed) so I ask, "Mom, do you need me to help you?" "No," she states. I wait a few moments and ask "well, how do you plan to get to bed when you can't walk?" "I dunno," she says. She just sits there.
I grab the transport chair and help her into it. Wheel her down the hall to their bedroom and bath. She attempts to get up and walk into the bathroom. She is unable to. It's a tight squeeze but I get she and the chair in the bathroom! After assisting her with ADLS (including her brushing her teeth for about 6-7 minutes with her electric toothbrush with her eyes closed). I give her her meds and finally tuck her into bed!!! (Oh, don't forget the pillow between the knees).
Goodnight Mom, I Love You. I Love you too she says softly. (Dad's snoring!).

Finally, some Peace and Quiet. What will I do with this precious time?

Play my Nintendo DS? No, not in the mood tonight. Watch some TV? No, I don't really like much tv anymore except for TCM and a few other stations. I guess I'll finish this blog then go on the Alzheimer's Message Boards (alz.org) to see if I can help anyone. I was on the AD Message Boards earlier today.

Did I tell you? I'm a Peer Volunteer for the AD Message Boards. There are five of us. Three with EOAD and two who are caregivers. It's a great group of people dedicated to helping others. I am honored to be a part of this. When I was first diagnosed, the AD Message Boards were a life saver for me. I had NO ONE! No local AD Assn since Hurricane Katrina. This was MY LIFELINE to people like me! The only support groups were in Nursing Homes for gorked out, older folks. That wasn't for me! No way I was going to one of THOSE groups!

So, I kept writing on the AD Message Boards. Finding people like me. E-mailing the Corporate headquarters of the AD Assn in Chicago. Then, I met Elena. What a dream she was. Dedicated, hardworking, determined. Just what I needed!
She re-started the AD program here. And, between the two of us and a lot of other help, we started a New EOAD Support group here for people with EOAD! Wow, it took awhile, but the meetings finally started and they help.

To anyone out there who is alone and unsure, PLEASE find an AD support group! Even if you have some support, Meetings are a must! And caregivers, you need a support group too!! Maybe sometimes more than us!!

One good thing about today. My intense anxiety has diminished some and my migraine too. The Force must have been with me today!

"After all, Tomorrow is another day!" S. O'Hara.

I wish you peace and rest.

lcc

No comments:

Post a Comment