Saturday, June 13, 2009

Sweet Saturday?

White dog woke me up late this morning. I don't like when he licks me awake! Ick!

Got up slowly, am ADLS (of course), let orange cat and white dog outside. Went to check on Mom and Dad. I open the door. Dad is standing in the kitchen (robe on) looking pretty pale and worn out. "Dad, you OK?" "Well, not really, I had a hard time getting your Mother off the floor this morning." (WHat? What did he say? Am I hearing right? Mom on the floor???). "Dad, what are you talking about?" "Your Mom got up this am to use the bedside commode (bsc) and couldn't get back to bed. She couldn't stand and slipped between the bsc and the bed." I had a hard time getting her up and back in bed." "Dad, why didn't you call me? That's what I'm here for to help!" "Well, I came over but you were asleep and I didn't want to bother you."
(Now, I have to take some slow, deep breaths to calm down) (OK, more breaths!).
"Dad, where is Mom now ?" "I put her back in bed and she'll have to stay there a while."

I went down the hall to their bedroom. Mom's laying on her side, in the bed, covered up. "MOM, are you OK?" Yes, baby I just had a bad time. Your Dad just couldn't get me off the floor and I was so weak I couldn't help!" (No use arguing with Mom about calling me). "Mom, how are you feeling now? Do you WANT to stay in bed?" No, I'd like to try to get up." (I slowly helped Mom to a seated position, then was able to put her on the bsc and then to the transfer chair. Did Am ADLS, then off to her recliner).

Coke was there waiting for her. Got her h20 and AM meds. AM meds given successfully! Yes! (Dad was making his breakfast and reading the paper). He is such a creature of habit! Mom could probably being dying and Dad would still follow his morning routine. (I think that how he stays sane in this insane household)). Mom's not hungry yet!

Coffee, must have coffee! Made my coffee and spent some time with Mom. She's very tired but wants me to stay. We chat about simple things. She'd confused but can follow simple things. Later, Dad joins us to talk about things. Mom eats a brownie I made for her last night!

Things, what things? It's hurricane season again and we need to plan what to do in case of a storm. I tell Dad that WE will evacuate early if a storm approaches. We plan on what we will needs to take and so on, where we will go depending on the storm!! Meds! We need to get extra meds just in case!

Dad tells me he has tickets to see the play "Oliver" for next Sunday. "That's Father's Day, Dad!" Yes, I know he said. I'd like to go to the play if we can get someone to stay with your Mom..
I put in a call to Gloria (the sitter) to see if she can stay with Mom next Sunday.

Now, I need to make my way back home. I have laundry to do and I'm getting my nails done later today!! (what a treat!)
Get my & some of Mom's laundry done. Go on line to Alz.org message boards just to see what is going on. Also, to see if anyone needs help!

My daughter calls! Oh yea! They are celebrating their 8th wedding anniversary this evening with a special dinner at their favorite restaurant in Atlanta! Great!
Spoke with my sister and b.i.l, all is fine in NJ! Good!

Oh, forgot to take MY am meds earlier. Well, at least I remembered to take them at all! Better late than never!

Treated myself to getting a manicure. (toes too)! Kinda makes me feel a little more feminine. See, I gained 30 pounds in the last year and a half! I feel like a blimp!! Nothing fits, fat as a house, very un-sexy! I don't know how to get my weight back under control. I've been on a lot of prednisone (in fact, still on pred for the bronchitis although weaning off now). I would really love my old body back! Regular size (not skinny) but in shape!!! God, how I miss feeling and looking good! This weight just adds to my depression.

I was thinking about something after I was reading on the AD message boards. Is my Life now CENTERED around my EOAD??? Am I becoming obsessed with having this disease? Do I have other things in my life? They say when people are diagnosed with a fatal disease often it takes over their lives!! Has this happened to me???? I don't think I think about death very much because frankly I don't care much about the death part. I think the journey is becoming overwhelming?! Or is it the caregiving that is overwhelming? Or is it the combination of all of it??

As I am writing this blog, flashes are starting in my eyes!!! GD Flashes, again!! You know what that means?? It's MIGRAINE TIME!!! Oh, sh.t!! I have to go take something right now so the migraine doesn't become it's own monster!!

This roller coaster is gonna kill me!!!!


"Sometimes, Dead is Better."

LCC

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Lisa

    I just read today's entry, and relized how very busy you are and how very tiring it must all be to you what with taking care of Mom and Dad and dealing with your own EOD, not to mention what you do for usme on the message board.

    So I am really glad I am folloswing your blog, Lisa. It lets me know to keep things in perspective, and not let my anger at my helplessness run away with me.

    Jesus, I wish me and you and the others on the forums lived closer together! We understand each other so well, it would take very little for me to call up one of my EOAD friends, and say "Hey! Got some time on my hands, can I do anything for you?"

    My closest chapter is in Atlanta, and although Suzette is an angel, we can only ever talk on the phone, and my wife has SO much on her plate dealing with me and trying to work at the same time, I too, wanna throw my hands up and say "let me off this rollercoaster!"

    I know I'm rambling, but I needed to be "with" someone right now, so I came and read your blog, and it made me feel better.

    What a coincidence that your Dad has tickets for "Oliver". I featured a video from the musical on my blog recently!

    Thanks for all you do for us, Lisa!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete