Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day 2009

No, I didn't post yesterday because I had a long day then went to dinner with a friend (Jeff)and didn't go to bed until after midnight! We went to a greek restaurant for dinner, talked and enjoyed.

Today is Father's Day! I first woke up to white dog barking at orange cat at 5:05am. I thought I heard Dad call me to help him with Mom. I jumped out of bed, made a quick pit stop, then ran next door only to find Mom and Dad in bed sleeping/snoring. (Oh, thank god nothing is wrong!). I was, of course, confused but glad that all was OK. Went back to be hoping to be able to go back to sleep. Luckily, about 45 minutes to an hour later I was asleep again. I didn't wake up again until about 8:15. Did my morning ADLS, and woke up to diarrhea on the carpet. Oh, no! (White dog was hiding under the desk). He must be the culprit! Cleaned and scrubbed the area. What a terrible way to start the day! Ick!

Went next door to check on Mom and Dad but they were still asleep (or at least that's what I thought). Apparently earlier, Mom had had another accident in the bed (which Dad dealt with) and their cat Jonesy cat threw up on the card and small gifts I left for Dad (for Father's Day) on their snack bar. Poor Daddy, He had a bad start to his Father's Day. (I found all this out later when Dad got up).

Later, Mom woke up and we did her AM ADLS and wheeled her to her throne. Coke, water and AM meds were given. Mom seems more confused today. I went next door to make my coffee and Dad ate breakfast then went for his AM ADLS. Visited with Mom a while. Mom was mixed up about today and what was going on. I reminded her of what today was and that Dad and I were going to a play this afternoon. She said "OK, good" but shortly after was confused again. I reminded her about the play and that Gloria was coming to be with her. She seemed OK with the plans.

Drove Dad and I to see "Oliver" at Tulane Summer Lyric. Dad had purchased front row center seats, of course. Dad may be cheep on some things but not theatre tickets! He's always loved the theatre! In fact he and Mom loved the theatre but she can no longer attend. Dad shared with me that he was glad I was there with him. It made me feel good. I don't know how much longer Dad will be on this earth. He's 87 and still pretty healthy but you just never know. We haven't been able to do many things together anymore with Mom needing 24/7 care. We share that load. It was nice to spend a few hours together in one of his favorite places! Of course, I love the theatre too. So does my sister and daughter, but no one loves it quite like Dad!!

When Dad was young he sang and danced. Yes, he's an accountant now but he had dreamed of being in the theatre! But, since his Dad had abandoned he, his Mom and 2 younger sisters, he had to give up his dreams! I've always thought that was sad to give up your dreams but sometimes reality kicks you in the butt! Like the fact that now I have to wear ear plugs when I go to the theatre! (It's just too much for me!!) Like over stimulation but with ear plugs I can still go and enjoy.

We came home from the play and I realized I had NOT taken anything out to cook for dinner! I'm so stupid sometimes. It's Father's Day and I didn't even think of planning a nice meal for Dad! Luckily, real food is not that important to Dad. He's become a junkfood junkie. So, they (Mom and Dad) decided they wanted Popeye's chicken for dinner. I ran out and got them dinner. They both seemed happy with that! Dad had even bought an apple pie so we were set. Fed them. Now they're watching a Netflix together (as usual).

It's 8:15pm now. White dog is sleeping on the sofa next to me. (No more diarrhea, thank god). I gave him so pepto earlier which seems to have done the trick. I'm tired again (as usual). I guess you're tired of hearing me say I'm tired.
I still want to go back to the AD Message Boards to check on things. I did go there for a short while earlier but not for long.

Tomorrow is Monday which begins another long week. I do have to go to Baton Rouge on Wednesday to testify to the board about them renewing and re-upping the law that requires people who work in Nursing homes, Assisted Living and Dementia units to have 16 hours of dementia training before they start and every year there after. (P.S. I'm trying to get that time increased). Sixteen hours of Dementia training is a bare minimum and these places are still fighting us on this! People with dementia can be very challenging to take care of. Caregivers need all the help/education they can get!! Being a caregiver for a person with dementia/AD, paid or unpaid, can be very difficult. We need all the help that is available to us to prepare us for this journey!

Remember, AD/Dementia is a journey not a destination. We're all on this roller coaster and can't get off. This can be a very wild ride at times! Education/knowledge can help pad us from the bumps and bruises we're bound to get on this ride! The more prepared we are, the more armor we have, perhaps the better we'll cope and hang on!

As Bette Davis said, "Hang on, this is going to be a bumpy night!"


Thanks for listening.

Peace and Hope.
LCC

4 comments:

  1. Hi to All,
    Sorry about all the errors in this post. I can't remember how to go back and edit it!

    LCC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great post. Happy Father's Day, a day late, to your wonderful dad and thank him for being there for your mom. Please let us know if there is any way at all we can assist you while you testify for 'dementia' training being required for caregivers and requesting that it be increased.
    Phone numbers, names of legislators or their aides, all would be helpful. I would love to call and give them some nice advice and support our cause.
    Thanks for advocating. GO LISA! GO LISA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LCC,

    Happy Fathers Day to your Dad. He sounds like a remarkable man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleenmc, Please contact your local legislators, Congressman/women, Senators, State Officials! We need all the help we can get!

    Hi, no1daughteroflewydad,thanks, he is remarkable!

    ReplyDelete