Thursday, June 11, 2009

Maybe today won't be a bad day!

When I woke up early this morning I realized, I didn't have a migraine! Wow, maybe today won't be a bad day?! Got up out of bed, no migraine! Yep, today's got to be better! Congestion and cough, well, still present but NO migraine! Yes!
Did my usual am things, fed the white dog and orange cat, let them outside. Was able to have my first cup of coffee before Mom's bell started ringing.
Mom woke up fairly chipper and stated "I slept good, I feel pretty good." (It's a miracle!!!) Maybe this won't be a bad day! She took a couple of steps to the bathroom,(yes, steps) stood up and washed her face!
(good start) but then said she was too tired to walk to the great room. Loaded her on her transfer chair and off we went to her recliner! Fresh Coke and H20 was served. Am meds administered. We sat and chatted a bit. She was a little confused but made sense and could follow simple conversations. It was nice.
It's Thursday, " G L O R I A " comes today to be with Mom. Yea! I will be able to attend my EOAD Support group.
Fed Mom breakfast. Shortly after that Gloria arrived. Gave her an update on Mom and went next door to my house. Yes, time for me.

Did a little Peer Volunteer Work on the AD Message Boards then off to take my bath/shower. I write bath/shower because I do both. Don't feel clean unless I've done both! Weird!

Decided to put on a little make-up as to not scare away my fellow EOADers (the forget-me-nots). Good meeting, small showing but good. Played an activity. It was fun. Discussed OUR problems and problems of the world including finances. Stayed a short while longer to discuss some upcoming dates/functions of the AD Assn with Elena. She's really a wonderful, dedicated person. I'm lucky, she's mt friend now.

left the AD Assn in a blaze. On a mission to find a new high tech blow up cushion for Mom's recliner. The old had a bad leak. Gosh, it was hot! The car registered over 100 degrees from sitting in the parking lot. (and it's only June).

Did I tell you? I have been having the SWEATS! For weeks now, they don't go away. I sweat and sweat and sweat some more! They drive me insane. (oh, that's right, too late!).

Finally arrived at my destination. A place called "Total Choices." It looked like they were giving things away free of charge! The parking lots was full. People pulling in and out. When I entered the store there were so many people, I didn't know where to start looking for the cushion. I didn't even bother to ask anyone, not that they has the time or the mind to help. Victory at last! Found the cushion I wanted. Now to pay for it! Mad my way to the counter but no one was there. Waited, looked around, waited some more. Then, just leaned over the counter until someone came to assist me. (at least 10 minutes).
Then I was back in my chariot to bring home the goody! Got Mom's chair fixed up. Then started dinner.

Baked chicken, mashed potatoes, frozen mixed veggies and a salad! Did all that. Did the dishes, now here I am. Boy, I'm tired!

I was talking with my friend on the message boards today. It was very sad. He lost his driver's license! God, this disease sucks! And, he had to jump through hoops to make things right! That really makes me MAD!!! Instead of helping someone with dementia, they make life even more difficult! I felt so bad for Tom.
I think I felt badly for me as well knowing I will be forced to face what Tom faced today.

It terrifies me to think that one day, probably in the near future, I won't be able to drive. (I'm having more problems with that visual-spatial thing!) Like Tom said, it's like being in prison then someone slams the door behind you! I'm so sorry for Tom and all my family and friends who are going through this cruel, hateful, terrible disease! It's a DEMON!

Well, I'm tired now. So I'll say good-night!

"Parting is such sweet sorrow."

LCC

1 comment:

  1. Society has a long way to go in relating to this disease; I am really, really hoping that you maintain this blog. I'm pooped and it's not even 9pm here in Los Angeles, so thanks very much for taking the time to put it all down.
    regards, Colleen

    ReplyDelete